Monday, February 3, 2020

My birth story... 2 years later

My birth story. It’s been two years since my daughter was born and I honestly didn’t want to share my story. It’s been a difficult 2 years due to emerging anxiety and a panic disorder that have thrown my life upside. But can I tell you that God was turning my life upside, breaking it all down, and bringing me low so that he could bring me to a much better place. That story is for another day and would probably be as long. Today here is my birth story: 

My baby had a condition called vasa previa. Pretty much if I went into labor my baby could bleed out in a matter of seconds and die. I was 36 weeks pregnant to the day. We went to get NST at the maternal fetal medicine doctors office because I work in a hospital and the Friday before I was working the the NICU (I float all over as a dietitian). I noticed my baby want kicking off moving as much and it scared me. I did all the recommended things so I told my co-worker I was just going to walk over to labor and delivery and see what they say. They recommended I walk upstairs to maternal fetal medicine because they wouldn’t charge as much as they would in labor and delivery. They said they would call them and let them know I was coming. I got an NST done and all was okay. My doctor wanted me to get NST tests done twice a week until delivery at 37 weeks. So that Monday when I went in I was just expecting the same thing. My blood pressure was a little high but not concerning and my baby was moving. Later that day my OB called and said that the maternal fetal medicine doctor reviewed my chart and testing and called her to inform she had to deliver my baby that week because of the vasa previa. We scheduled a c-section on Wednesday because she was also breech AND because vaginal delivery was not safe for my baby. (I was pleased. I have other things going on with my physiology that I didn’t want to mess with during a vaginal delivery.) she told me I needed to get betamethasone shorts at the hospital that night and Tuesday to stimulate my daughters lungs to develop more. I went in and was hanging out in triage waiting for the shot when they got my vitals. At first my BP was a little high. Then it shot up to 160 and then 172. She called my doctor and they tried a few different things with the same result. I have them a urine sample and my OB said we were doing an emergency c-section to deliver her that might because they didn’t want to mess with the vasa previa. They found out I had pre-eclampsia that was developing into HELLP syndrome. I was jaded. I worked in a NICU and a hospital and my mind just thought, “huh, I have heard about that and how rare it is.” I strangely thought it was cool until I realized how life threatening it was. My baby was delivered and she had congenital pneumonia and was transported via helicopter to a NICU nearby. I was also on magnesium and I literally don’t remember that entire day. I just felt so out of it. I returned to the ER 3 days after discharge due to difficulty breathing and feeling like I was dying. Thankfully the question was never asked who do you want us to save. This experience Solidified my faith in God. I had been praying the whole pregnancy for the best outcome for us both and the sequence of events saved both our lives. I honestly don’t know what would’ve happened if we hadn’t gone in that Monday and had that doctor tell my doctor to deliver the baby that week. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment