Tuesday, December 24, 2013

The Aerial View


I have been pondering on this topic for quite some time now and I have a few thoughts I think the readers of my blog and others could benefit from.
First of all:
Today I was reading through my travel journal when I read an entry that impressed a truth upon my mind. The Lord uses experiences to teach us. Sometimes we get so caught up in the details of the experience that we neglect the opportunity to step back and allow God to help us see the bigger picture. For when he does we see that the things that were so significant and permanent were not as significant as they seemed and that their permanence was actually temporary and changing based on us and our growth.
What I mean is that each step we take in our life and each thing we face has a purpose and sometimes that purpose can be found not by looking at the details but by stepping back and looking at the whole picture. Like we would when we are looking at the aerial view of a corn maze. Most often there is a design and a plan for how it is to be built. When we are in the midst of the maze we can only see the walls and other things we are facing. At those times I think we can become so absorbed into these distractions that we can’t see the big picture.
Sometimes we have to let go of things so that we can see the big picture. Sometimes we have to walk by faith completely trusting that he will help us to see the bigger picture. I know he will. He always does. I love that statement “always”.  Always doesn’t mean immediately or in the time frame we want but I promise that he does when the timing is right. At that moment it will be the right moment.

Second of all:
I read this beautiful scripture tonight that I feel goes very well along with the theme of this post:

2 Ne. 15: 12-13.
12)” ….but they regard not the work of the Lord, neither consider the operation of his hands.
13) Therefore, my people are gone into captivity, because they have no knowledge; and their honorable men are famished, and their multitude dried up with thirst.”

This scripture taught me that the work of the Lord really is important. His work involves his children and that includes us. I love it when we get that burning feeling deep in our hearts to stand up and do something to further the work of the Lord. Maybe that would be speaking up, helping someone, listening, etc. These are simple things but powerful actions. Let us go out and do something!
The other part of this scripture helped me remember the power knowledge especially that which we gain through studying the scriptures, words of the prophets, pondering, and praying on what we have read and receiving a confirmation that those things we have studied, pondered, and prayed over are true. Life even teaches spiritual things. Through these things we gain spiritual knowledge that keeps us from captivity and allows us to blossom and grow within the gospel. We are so blessed. So very blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment